Friday, October 10, 2014

MESSAGE FROM A RONDAHANON CLAUDINE

Good day!

My name is Claudine. I was brought up in Ronda and will probably grow old there. I have seen the blog and read the history. Actually, I had my Philippine History class last semester and we were asked to write or research the history of our province. I decided to feature Ronda since I am from there and for my 19 years of existence I still didn't know about how Ronda came up. So, I have thought of the Vice Mayor John Ungab to answer my questions since we're friends in FB. I wasn't expecting him to reply since I know he's an atty. and he got lots of things to do. However, despite of that, he did reply and answered my questions fairly. Here's what he said (copied from his replies on our fb conversation):

"ronda" comes from the spanish word meaning 'attack'

raid

but the place was named after a place in Ronda, Spain because its terrain resembled to that of our local town

particularly the two moutains the enclosed the municipality

the town was formerly named Holoyaw

it became a municipality last september 1913, hence we celebrated the centennial year last year

every september, we celebrate the foundation of Ronda. last year was the celebration of its 100th anniversary.

because of our abundance of corn, rice and coconut, etc., we came up with a festival named, Panginabuhi Festival. It was formerly known as Kinabuhi Festival, where every barangay is going to compete with the other barangays.

For being abundant of corn, rice, coconut, etc., Panginabuhi Festival is held every year to express our gratitude to the Holy One. Each barangay in the municipality is going to present their colorful performances and graceful dance steps. "

Thank you! And keep up this good promotion of our province. God Bless!

YOUR MESSAGE